Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Market From the Perspective of an East Nashville Resident


East Nashville Farmers Market by Lauren Widelitz


Every Wednesday my little part of the city holds a farmers market. 
The East Nashville Farmers Marketis located on a little plot of land next to a church 
in five points. 
This might be the second or third year of the market, I can't remember. 
What I do know is that every Wednesday night on my way home from work
 I stop by to look at the beautiful produce, pick up my CSA, 
and enjoy some outdoor entertainment.


Squash from Flying S Farms

This year after much research, Steve and I decided to get our CSA through Flying S Farms
We found their price pretty reasonable. Also, I could personally attest to the quality, 
as I have been buying from this vendor for a while now. 
A sweet older gentleman in overalls and a trucker hat always helps me out. 
He always greets me with a smile and recommends ways of cooking that week's produce. 
Since it's late spring/early summer we have been living on squash.
 Every BBQ I have attended I have brought along a pile of roasted summer squash. 
It is very tasty, but I'm running out of ideas on how to cook the little buggers. 
Anyone have any creative squash recipies?

Flying S Banner

After picking up my basket and seeing my veggie options for the week, 
I like to walk around and find other good things that I could use in cobbling together a meal.
 I'm proud to say that Steve and I are cheese obsessed and I always have to sample the 
goodness from Kenny's Farmhouse Cheese. The lady who staffs the East Nash booth is 
super friendly and always lets me sample as many as I want. 
I normally buy the Garlic Paprika Jack, but I wanted to branch out so I asked for 
the Garden Herb Havarti. Apparently many other people had the same idea and 
they just sold their last slice. So after sampling a few more, I decided on the Cumin Gouda. 
This cheese is delicious and addicting. Whole Cumin seeds are dotting throughout and the 
cheese melts nicely (I made a quesadilla with the stuff). 
I hope I am courageous enough to branch out again and try something new next time. 


Alfresco Pasta also has a booth. Get some veggies, some cheese and some pasta and 
you have a complete meal. I've purchased from Alfresco in the past. 
Everything comes frozen with simple cooking directions. 
I recently made the Southern Sweet Corn and Mascarpone Ravioli in Beet Pasta and loved it. 
I really wanted to get two servings of the squid ink pasta, 
but they only come frozen in bulk portions of 12.  
I like squid pasta and all, but I don't want a whole freezer full of it. 
Alfresco, if you are reading, go back to selling single pasta portions of your noodles! 
Also, if you don't have time- they sell pasta sauce too!


Besides Flying S, there are a handful more produce vendors at the market. 
Most people carry the same things, but sometimes you find some unique to one vendor or
 the price is just much better. I wanted small onions to cook up with some kale and I purchased those from the Delvin Farms booth. They looked the freshest and were the cheapest. Good deal for me. 

Delvin Farms Produce

Delvin Farms CSA Basket

Nashville Foodscapes- Gardening with food!

Finally, I think it might be good to take a look at what was in our CSA basket this week. 
As you can see the basket itself was overflowing with green goodness. 


This week's CSA included lettuce, kale, a whole ton of squash, cucumbers and blueberries. 
What will I get today? Tune in next week!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! Summer squash and zucchini are pretty versatile. At the risk of sounding like the shrimp guy in Forrest Gump, here are some ways we use it at Casa Faulkner:

    Try it grilled, brushed with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.

    You can also halve and toast it in the oven, topped with grated asiago cheese. If you haven't tried Kenny's, you're in for a treat.

    It works well sauteed with beet greens, a little onion and kale.

    I include it in my veggie marinara pasta sauce and it gets its own layer in my lasagna (when I'm feeling patient enough to make lasagna.)

    Cooked yellow squash purees nicely and gives your quiche base a sweet kick.

    You can cut in chunks and allow it to sit with olives, artichoke quarters, onion, tomatoes, peppers, fresh basil leaves cubed mozz/parm/asiago cheese and whatever else looks good. Put the lot in a glass bowl of olive oil with a touch of vinegar or Italian dressing (the Turnip Truck carries some very good ones) for at least ten minutes. Serve over something green and leafy or with crostini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologies for the deleted comment. I was editing for clarity and, well, me hope to talk purty one day.

    ReplyDelete